The Clay County Landmarks Commission and Historical Society met on June 3 in the backyard of President Jerry Stover. Attending were Jerry Stover, Jeanine Samples, Eloise Boggs, Marlene Potasnik, Jannette Douglas, Janet Koch, Betty Robinson, Lenora Pettit, Pam Dawson, Sandra Claybrook, and Quincy Potasnik.
President Stover called the meeting to order. The minutes of the previous meeting on March 4 were read and approved.
Sandra gave the treasurer’s report. All expenses of publishing Garnie Testa’s book have been paid. She also reported that the Society sent letters advertising the book to all county boards of education and to public libraries in the state. To date, we have sold 53 copies of the book.
- Election of officers should be done soon.
- There was a brief discussion about revision and updating of the cemetery book. Karen Burdette is in charge of that project.
- Jerry commended the old courthouse volunteers for continuing the work there, getting the newsletter sent out, filling book orders promptly and handling records of book sales.
- Our “Preservation” bank account needs to be updated. Two new names of members of the CCLC&HS will replace the current names which are on the account. Janet Koch and Jannette Douglas volunteered to have their names replace the former names. A motion was made, seconded, and approved that a letter be sent to the bank notifying them of this change.
- The Clay County Health Department is considering the purchase of an adjacent piece of property and has asked the CCLC&HS for clearance as pertaining to any historical or archeological significance associated with the property. The lot was once occupied by private homes and Murphy’s Department Store. A motion was made, seconded, and approved that Jerry write a letter to the Health Department stating that the property has no lasting historical value.
- A copy of the June issue of Wonderful West Virginia magazine was passed around. Featured was an article of one-room schoolhouses in West Virginia.
By consensus, the decision was made to meet on our regular date in July.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday, June 1, at 1 p.m. The location is to be determined.