The Clay County Landmarks Commission and Historical Society met Wednesday, July 1, 2015, in the Clay County Library. Present were Lenore Pettit, Pat Chapman, Jim Miller, Marlene Potasnik, Quincy L. Potasnik, Eloise Boggs and Jerry Stover.
The meeting was called to order by President Jerry Stover. The minutes of last month’s meeting were read and approved, and Jim gave the treasurer’s report.
1. Jerry expressed thanks to Derek Glasser for donating coal company scrip for our museum and to Charles Legg for donating pictures of Clay/Pisgah, water tower, depot, a photo of WWII women pilots, and old newspaper clippings of the BC&G Railroad.
2. Bulk Mailing Permit: This involves a rather lengthy computer form, which requires instructions from a UPS official. Quincy will contact the official before the mailing of the next Now & Then (which is ready to go to the printer).
3. The Elkhurst Swinging Bridge: This is the last bridge of its kind left in West Virginia. We still need information and stories about it. Do the people of Clay County want to see this historic and unique structure saved? Send your comments to us. Our mailing address is PO Box 670 Clay 25043. Our e-mail address is cchistory101@ frontiernet.net. Our website is www.claywvhistoricalsociety.org.
4. A flyer was circulated announcing The Appalachian Band Music Festival, Camp Washington-Carver at Clifftop in Fayette County, July 29, 2015. For more information, go to www.wvculture.org or call 304-558-0220.
5. The Clay County Business Development Authority (BDA) still needs pictures and information for Pisgah, Dundon, Adair, Crestmont, Eakle and Widen – towns along the newly established hiking/biking trail. Send by way of addresses given in item 3 above.
6. We have had no commitments for a library volunteer for the summer.
1. Garnie Testa Book: In response to our request for additional teacher photos (listed in last month’s minutes and printed in the local newspapers), we are receiving material from family members. Decisions have to be made about the format of the book which is quite lengthy, e. g., whether or not to have more than one volume. Supplemental material will be printed separately, as per the earlier decision to leave Mrs. Testa‘s material as is.
2. Now & Then: The summer issue is being mailed to the printer this week.
1. Annual Picnic: As has been our custom, our August meeting will include a picnic, held in the lower level of the Clay County Library. The time is 1:00 p.m. and the menu is “pot luck.”
2. Apple Festival: Our role is yet undetermined, pending a meeting with the Festival Committee. We would like a spot just inside the Courthouse, as last year. It was suggested that among our displays would be one of our collection of CCHS yearbooks.
1. Request from Rev. Albert Elswick for names of relatives of certain families from the O’Brion area. Pat will contact Mr. Elswick.
Next meeting: Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 1:00 pm, Library Lower Level 1