The Jodie Baptist Church will have special preaching and singing each night September 13th through September 19th, 2015. Preaching will be from 7-9 each night. The festivities will end on September 20th with Homecoming. That day lunch will be at 12 noon. Preaching will begin at 2 PM.
• Sunday September 13, preaching, Harold Taylor; singing, Church Singers
• Monday September 14, preaching, Jason Skaggs; singing, Skaggs Family
• Tuesday September 15, preaching, Tyler Long; singing, Ashley Long
• Wednesday September 16, preaching, Earl Elliot; singing, Church Singer
• Thursday September 17, preaching, Larry Skaggs; singing, Special Singers
• Friday September 18, preaching, Richard Harold; singins, Zack Harold
• Saturday September 19, preaching, Howard Taylor; singing, Howard Taylor, Josie Cole, Shawn West
• Sunday September 20, preaching, Ira Holland; singing, Remnant
The Ladies Mission Circle has the following for sale: Plates $21.00, Cups $5.00, Cookbooks $20.00.
On December, 5 1915 the trustees TC Johnson, Grover C Simms, Wilbert Simms, JL McGreary, Albert Stone, Fenton H. Miller, and JC. Grisinger, met at the Jodie School house and organized the Mt. Radiance Church with JC Grisinger called as the first pastor.
In March 1916, construction was begun on the church edifice. July 21st 1916. JM and Florence Smiles donated land to erect a Missionary Baptist Church.
April 4th, 1918 the name was changed to Jodie Missionary Baptist Church.
September 2nd, 1964 Grace Cavendish sold a lot of land adjacent to the Church to the Church for a thousand dollars.
In the early days, the church was heated by coal, bought at one dollar per wagon load and used oil lamps for lighting. It was customary for someone to go house to house requesting an offering to help pay the pastor’s sixty dollar a year salary.
Nowadays the church has been completely modernized with all the expected conveniences, including electric lighting, central air and heat, indoor plumbing, carpeting and padded benches for parishioners.
In 1975, a fellowship hall was added behind the church. It and its adjacent covered patio and picnic tables are host to various church activities as well as some private functions like wedding receptions.
The Church has been served by 33 pastors, since its dedication in 1920: the present one being Daniel Sears.
“And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.” Psalms 35:9