Cold weather has struck West Virginia this week, and so have carbon monoxide poisonings. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can be produced when fuels do not burn completely. Carbon monoxide can sicken or kill those exposed to high concentrations.
• If anyone living in the home (including pets) experiences sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, or weakness, immediately seek fresh air and call the West Virginia Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.
• If anyone is unconscious or having convulsions (seizures), call 911.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, whether you are at home or at your hunting cabin, the West Virginia Poison Center offers these tips:
• Have gas appliances checked annually by a professional.
• Keep all chimneys and flues free of debris.
• Avoid the use of kerosene heaters indoors or in enclosed areas such as tents.
• Carefully follow the manufacturer’s safety and placement instructions for generator use.
• Use battery-operated (or battery-backup) carbon monoxide alarms. Be sure to test the batteries regularly.