Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 20 mins
Total time – 30 mins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup skim milk (or whatever milk you have)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil or cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin liners in a muffin tin and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, add the sugar, milk, vanilla, egg, and oil. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined; batter should be lumpy. Do not over mix.
5. Fill the muffin liners ¾ of the way up.
6. Add your favorite muffin flavors/additions (fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, oats, etc.). Take a toothpick and push the additional ingredients down into the batter and swirl them around a little.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
If you are going to use a muffin addition that is not very sweet, like blueberries, it would be a good idea to roll that ingredient around in a little bit of sugar before you add it to the muffin batter.
The baking powder will start to react as soon as the wet ingredients are added to the dry ingredients. So, it’s a good idea to have all of your additional ingredients prepared (ie. fruit peeled and chopped) before the batter is made.
Serving size: 1 plain muffin Calories: 152 Fat: 4.9 Saturated fat: 0.5 Carbohydrates: 23.7 Fiber: 0.5 Protein: 3.1
Author: Amanda Finks