Courthouse Fire - Clay County Free Press
Published On: Wed, Nov 13th, 2013

Courthouse Fire

By Erica Kearns
Smoke and panic filled the courthouse Tuesday as a fire started in the kitchenette area of the building. Courthouse workers were evacuated and emergency responders were dispatched. The Clay Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call and discovered a burner on an electric stove top had been left on and a plastic dish drainer too close to the stove had ignited, causing the fire. Personnel were able to quickly control the blaze with fire extinguishers, preventing damage to surrounding areas and offices.